Monday, February 7, 2011

A Wonderful Tieguanyin Tea

I'm taking the Tea Preparation and Consumption course right now at George Brown College and had the pleasure of tasting a wonderful Tieguanyin tea that I just had to make a note about.

Unfortunately, I have no pictures but the Tieguanyin tea came from Red Blossom Tea in San Francisco and was called Heritage Tieguanyin. It was harvested in Spring 2010 from Anxi County, Fujian province, China.

It had a wonderful clean and sweet taste and a long sweet finish/aftertaste at the back of the palate. Not sure if it was my imagination but I also felt there was a cooling sensation after swallowing the liquid. The aroma of the tea was nice but unfortunately I could not identify it. Reading the description on-line, it appears it should have a caramel, brown sugar, smoked cedar aroma.

The website also describes this tea as hand-bruised and hand-rolled, and roasted over low-fire charcoal for over 30 hrs. This is indeed a long processing time as I've tried to do some searches on Anxi tieguanyin and many sites either don't post the length of roasting time or the next highest is over 15 hrs. Truly a labour-intensive tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment