Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tea Brewing: When is the tea ready?

I recently came across an article on the blog The Leaf: "How will I know when my tea ready?".
The article is on a bit of philosophy and culture on brewing tea. I especially like the lines "There is an interaction between people and tea when they brew tea. Through this diligent practice, one can have a deep understanding of tea." (page 2)

It made me think of my tea testing and how stringent I am on how long I brew the tea. I find this has resulted in a disconnect between myself and the tea, I guess not enough experience and practice. In the past, I'd scoop the amount of leaf I "felt" was right, I would brew the tea without thinking about the time too much and pouring when I "felt" it was ready. Recently I've been tea tasting quite a bit to become familiar with teas I don't usually drink, but found that I haven't sat down to just enjoy and relax with one of my favorite teas, to connect again.

Goal for tonight: sit down to a nice pot of tea and let it steep until I "feel" it is ready, then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment