Friday, May 10, 2013

Hibiscus - Part I

After reading about Hibiscus in Kensington Market on Yelp, I knew I had to try this place.  It seemed like it would be a really chill place and would be a great little place for lunch that was healthy, tasty, and affortable.



1st impression:  loved it!

This is only a brief post as I didn't have time for a meal, but really wanted to check out their dairy free ice cream.  So, I went one sunny day and in the end, I didn't get any ice cream!  There was a sign for iced matcha latte, YUM!  My attention always gets diverted when I see anything matcha green tea...so, the ice cream would have to wait.  Picked a gluten-free cookie to go with it - a strawberry pistaschio cookie made from brown rice flour and was egg and dairy-free.

What an awesome place!  Atmosphere was really laid back, service was attentive but not pushy and everything looked really fresh and yummy (well, as I peered over at the table next to me).




The iced matcha was quite good, good matcha flavour and not too sweet.  Cookies were self serve which was different.  Because they aren't made with your traditional ingredients, the cookies are crispy and somewhat crumbly.  No aftertaste which was good.  Quite yummy and I did enjoy the dried strawberries in the cookie!

Self-serve cookie jars.
What's interesting is there was no bill.  You go up to the cash and let them know what you ordered.  Then, you pay at the cash.  Maybe they only do this during slower times.

No comments:

Post a Comment