Thursday, July 14, 2011

Iced Baozhong/Pouchong Tea

After living in Taiwan for a year and having easy access to really flavourful iced teas, I find myself trying to make them often.

One of my favourite iced teas is using Baozhong or Pouchong Tea. It is light, floral, and sweet. I used almost 8g of tea for about 1 cup of iced tea as I was going to add ice which would dilute the tea. However, it can be brewed a few times to yield more cups of tea.
The tea leaves, these were machine reaped from the Wenshan area in Taiwan.


I also made some basil syrup water. Dissolved equal parts water with sugar and infused fresh basil leaves approximately 3 stems in 1/2cup (125ml) of sugar water.

Brewed the tea hot, then added ice to cool it down (3 cubes), added the syrup, and shook it in a cocktail shaker.

Halfway through drinking, I thought it needed something else. Decided to added sliced strawberries which really went well with the basil and tea. Refreshing and more balanced. Next time I'll add at the start!

2 comments:

  1. Bao Zhong tea is processed with a minimum of rolling and drying. Its a light tea but has an aromatic aroma that is unique. I like this tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments! I enjoy the aroma as well!

    ReplyDelete